Registration is now open for the Second Annual Spear Memorial Cup and Curry Cup Tournament sponsored by the Yarmouth Lacrosse Boosters. The Tournament will be held on April 8-10, 2016 at Casco Bay Arena. Greely and Falmouth will be looking to repeat their Curry Cup and Spear Memorial Cup Championships respectively.
This Tournament will fill up quickly. Teams that played in last year’s tournament will have priority on signing up until March 7th after which team slots will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once we reach our eight-team limit per division, we will place teams on a waiting list in the event a team does not complete its registration by the deadline. Due to limited floor time, we cannot accept more than 8 teams per division.
To sign-up for the tournament, please email Rhonda Senger at RSenger@maine.rr.com and provide the town and age level of your team. To confirm your team’s place in the tournament, a non-refundable deposit of $150 must be received no later than March 18th. All checks must be made payable to “Yarmouth Lacrosse Boosters” and should be sent to: Rhonda Senger, 54 Astilbe Lane, Yarmouth, ME 04096.
- COST: The cost per team is $550. Each team is guaranteed three games with the possibility of an additional Championship Game at each age level. Each team will also be provided with a mid-week practice to introduce players to box lacrosse rules and tactics. Goaltenders will be able to use the box goalie equipment. We recommend a minimum roster of 10 runners and one goalie and a maximum roster of 15 runners and one goalie.
- RULES: Games will be played pursuant to Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) Box Lacrosse Rules with rule modifications that prohibit checking into the boards and cross-checking The Grade 6-7 Division will be non-checking. Please go to our Official Game Rules Page for more information.
- CHAMPIONSHIP: The Evans Spear Memorial Cup will be awarded to the Champion of the Grade 7-8 Division and the Curry Cup will be awarded to the Grade 6-7 Division Champion. The winning team’s name will be engraved on the Cup. Greely was the 2015 Curry Cup Champion and Falmouth won the Spear Memorial Cup last year.
- AGE LEVELS: There are two divisions: Grades 7-8 and Grades 6-7 (non-checking).
- TEAMS: This is a competitive, recreational tournament. All teams must be based on town residency, town lacrosse programs or private school attendance. Two towns may combine to form a single team, but that must be noted prior to the tournament. Selection for the team may not be based on a tryout or skill level. All players must play equally and good sportsmanship requires that all programs register balanced teams to ensure good competition. Simply, in the spirit of good sportsmanship we are trying to ensure fair competition and avoid having adults try to put together a “super team.”
- EQUIPMENT: Full box lacrosse goalie equipment, which includes a neck guard, upper body pads, gloves, hockey pants & leg pads, will be provided for all teams. Players must wear required field lacrosse equipment, but may wear HECC-certified hockey helmets. All players must wear wear arm or elbow pads and have biceps pads attached to their shoulder pads. Although many field players remove these pads, box players always wear them. Needless to say, every player should wear a protective cup. Each coach is required to ensure his team is properly equipped. Players in the Grade 7-8 Division are not required to wear rib/kidney pads or hard bicep pads, but they are recommended.
To complete your team’s registration, the remaining tournament fee of $400 must be received no later than April 1, 2016 along with a certified team roster and signed releases for each player. The forms can be found below:
Practices will be held on Wednesday and Thursday night (April 6-7) prior to the tournament. We will have coaches and officials at the practices to explain box lacrosse rules, tactics, and plays.